Saturday, July 26, 2014

Party in Your Mouth

I completely ignored heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market last season.  The odd shaped fruit with irregular colour often paled to the hothouse tomatoes.  This week, a farmer offered me a taste. He cut off a wedge and passed it to me. Juice dripped down his hand and mine. I popped the whole thing into my mouth.  It was sweet,  juicy and not acidic,  I don't know how they are for cooking. I never have any leftover.  Some fresh bread, sliced tomatoes, pepper and salt and voila, super relish. 


Speaking of bread, I made some yesterday. My new friend TC came over to show me the tricks of whole wheat bread making. 

3 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Looking good, Bonnie.

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks fabulous! Love the new name! xo Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,

Second try.....the first is somewhere in cyberspace????

Heirloom tomatoes are the best! My husband, Herb, experiments with them every year. He orders specialty seeds and starts them in our (miniscule) house before planting them outside. My favorites were the Pineapple Tomatoes - large, oddly shaped but mostly bumpy oval, red and yellow fruits which, when sliced, resembled the outside of a pineapple. One slice was enough for a succulent tomato sandwich, and the flavour was divine. Sadly we haven't been able to get the seeds again. I did see some in a grocery store once, but they were perhaps half the size of the ones we grew.

This year's heirloom tomato is a large, roma shaped fruit that is, apparently, yellow when ripe. We haven't tasted them yet, but are looking forward to it!

Rose